UCD Lyons Research Farm
Funding is provided for the research programme for the Development of a high-output grass-based spring milk production system. This research programme commenced at the beginning of January 2019, and will continue until the end of 2023.
The aim is to
- To incorporate the most recent advances in grassland management for dairy farms
- Use a type of dairy cow that did not exist 15 years ago that has high milk output and fertility
- Employ the best practices from nutrition research and dairy cow husbandry
The research will
- Continue to evaluate a higher output spring system
- Produce KPIs suitable for high out grass based milk production (grass, milk, fertility).
- Optimise cow genotype in the system
- Evaluate different nutritional strategies and management strategies in the system
Dissemination is via
- Weekly notes published on the Lyons Farm Website
- Hosting industry groups on an ongoing basis
- Reports in the main agricultural media